National business is seeking an experienced Linux engineer to join an expanding operations function.
The role will be responsible for all operational events and incident management, configuration and patch management across the enterprise-wide Linux system infrastructure. Providing 3rd line support and administration to maintain optimum performance and utilisation of the associated platform mainly Oracle Enterprise Linux 6 & 7 (as well as some RedHat and CentOS 6 & 7), you will act as a subject-matter expert around the Linux platform assisting the technology group around technical requirements capture and design principles. Specifically you will:
- Install, configure and manage solutions and within the Linux infrastructure space.
- Undertake 3rd line and escalated BAU Support for Linux Servers both physical and virtual.
- Perform routine patching, security hardening and vulnerability management.
- Undertake performance monitoring and fine tuning of infrastructure servers and services.
- Liaise with 3rd party and vendor support for efficient incident resolution.
- Contribute to solution designs and project definition.
- Undertake regular application updating and patching.
- Ensure regular backups and perform DR testing.
- Work with project managers and business analysts to effectively capture technical project requirements and ensure technical designs and solutions meet the business requirements.
- To guide and support internal project managers and suppliers in the development and documentation related to Operational Acceptance and Handover of Linux platforms.
- Ensure systems and services are running in line with established best practices.
- Create and maintain documentation for solutions and services.
- Provide rota based out-of-hours on call support
As part of a team of specialist knowledge of VMware, Windows, Storage and deployment solutions, you have the opportunity to learn and work with these technologies as well as gain cloud experience as the business continues to progress down that route.
It is anticipated that post Covid you will expected to be office based c. 3 days per week.
With expert knowledge of Linux systems including areas such as system applications, servers, storage and data backup & recovery, you will have some experience in Oracle Enterprise Linux 6 & 7. In addition advanced troubleshooting skills, you will require working knowledge of:
- IT applications including databases, connectivity, integration and front/back-end servers.
- Network infrastructure including datacentres, WAN/LAN networking, Security and a good understanding of networking fundamentals, including TCP/IP, DNS & DHCP
You will also possess experience of:
- SolarWinds for monitoring and troubleshooting
- Scripting and/or programming language (e.g. Bash, Python)
- Installing, configuring, and maintaining of general Linux services such as Postfix, syslog, CUPS etc.
- Patch Management Policy with critical systems with vendor & stakeholder engagement
Experience in Cloud infrastructure implementation, such as Azure, will be beneficial