William Leech Investments
William Leech Investments is a taxable investment company. It also provides management services to William Leech Foundation which is a registered charity and which in turn manages three charitable trusts including the William Leech Research Fund which supports theological research in the North-East.
Their continued purpose is to provide, through ethical investment, a growing and sustainable level of financial support to five Christian charities, these being the Bible Society, CMS, Methodist Church, the Salvation Army and SPCK.
The Director of Finance and Company Secretary is to be responsible for the management of The William Leech Foundation Limited and its three subsidiary trusts (The Foundation Trust, The Charity Trust and the Research Fund), and William Leech (Investments) Limited. Assisted by a PA, and reporting to the Chair of the Board, they will ensure all of the business is undertaken in a timely and professional manner ensuring that the reputation of the five charities, the Research Fund and William Leech, is protected and the level of financial support provided to the charities increases in a sustainable way.
- Liaison with the Investment Managers, preparation of reconciliations, and working with the Investment Committee to monitor performance and compliance with our guidelines;
- Oversight of the property portfolio comprising two development sites, leasehold residential properties, collection of ground rent and liaising with lessees, valuers and lawyers regarding sale of freehold reversions and lease extensions and the oversight of the residual land interests;
- Prepare, agree and then monitor budgets and quarterly forecasts;
- Ensuring sufficient cash flow to run the business;
- Arrange for the distributions to be made to the charities and other payments;
- Be responsible for the preparation of the Annual Report and Accounts and working papers for the taxation computations, filing of returns at Companies House, Charity Commission and HMRC;
- Liaison with auditors and tax advisors on any changes to the business and to relevant legislation;
- Preparation of meeting agendas, minutes etc. for the Board and sub-committees and making the necessary arrangements for them to meet either physically or virtually;
- Keeping all corporate governance relevant and up-to-date – investment, ethical and distribution policies, terms of reference of sub-committees, the risk register, health and safety;
- Induction of new directors;
- Answer questions/give direction in connection with the Research Fund, prepare engagement letters and ensuring funding is in place with partner universities/institutions
- Manage the office including preparation of payroll, including returns to HMRC, the payment of suppliers, digitally archiving of records; and
- Act as the first point of contact for enquiries on all matters in relation to the business of William Leech including in relation to any previously held property ownerships.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate a track record of operating with the highest integrity whilst undertaking an autonomous leadership position and be experienced in developing and managing trusted relationships with a broad range of stakeholders.
- Holds a professional qualification such as accountancy, law or a related discipline;
- Experienced in the management of multi-asset portfolios including real estate;
- Experienced in the preparation of annual accounts, budgets;
- A working knowledge of charitable law and governance, corporate taxation and reporting;
- Sympathy for the purposes of the five charities and motivated by the organisation’s purpose.
The Boards aim to appoint a candidate who has sympathy with and is motivated by the organisation’s core purpose.
Please make contact with Mark Dale at Nigel Wright to explore further.